What is nausea and how does it affect the body? What are the causes of nausea and what are the symptoms?
Today, we will learn more about nausea and how it plays a vital role in medical assessments.
Nausea by Definition
Generally, a stomach that feels a little queasy is what we call nausea. Nausea can sometimes present vomiting. It is not a disease but only a symptom. Nausea is a very common symptom of a lot of diseases.
Common Causes of Nausea and Symptoms
What Can Cause Nausea?
Well, there are a number of causes of nausea that usually happen in three parts of the body.
Pelvic and Abdominal Organs
- Pancreatitis or inflammation of the pancreas.
- Hepatitis or liver inflammation.
- Nephritis or kidney inflammation.
- Problems in the gall bladder.
- Irritation in the pelvis, appendix, intestinal lining, and stomach.
- GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) in which a part of the stomach blocked and intestines stretched.
- Constipation can also cause nausea as well as menstruation.
- Pregnancy (morning sickness)
- However, the most common conditions are gastroenteritis or viral infections.
Spinal Fluid and Brain
- Firstly, a migraine or a headache can cause nausea
- Brain tumors
- Head injuries
- Brain bleeding
- Meningitis or inflammation of the layer that covers the brain
- Brain reaction due to pain
- It is also due to emotional distress
- Lastly, because of unpleasant odors or smell (being around someone who just vomited can cause nausea)
- It can be due to vertigo. Vertigo is a dizzy spinning sensation. And you feel like falling or moving when you clearly aren’t moving at all
- Motion sickness (car, boat sickness). There are nausea pills for this.
- It can also be caused by a viral infection called labyrinthitis
- And also tumors in the nerve or brain.
Chemical Changes and Imbalances as Causes of Nausea
Drugs for chemotherapy can commonly cause nausea. Other drugs that can cause nausea are the antidepressants.
The most frequent side effect of anesthesia is nausea. This is commonly seen in people who have undergone surgery and still recover from anesthesia.
Almost half of the women who are pregnant experience nausea during their first trimester. We sometimes refer to it as morning sickness. It is also a side effect of the pills for birth control.
The contaminated food produces toxins because of the bacteria in it, thus causing abdominal cramps and nausea due to food poisoning.
Low Blood Glucose and hangover from Alcohol Consumption are also two common nausea causes.
Symptoms of Nausea
People find it hard to describe nausea. They say it is a very painful feeling that radiates at the back of our throat, chest, or abdomen. Everybody agrees that it is very uncomfortable to deal with.
People usually have the urgency to vomit or they just dislike the food they eat.
Here is what the body experiences when a person is ready to vomit:
- First, the esophageal sphincter relaxes.
- Then the diaphragm and the muscles in the abdomen contracts.
- The larynx or the windpipe starts to close.
- Finally, the stomach’s lower part will then contract.
When you are about to vomit, the food contained in the stomach is forced to get out through the esophagus and the mouth.
As a result, you experience a gag reflex. Another term for gag reflex is retching. During retching, the abdominal and respiratory muscles have multiple contractions.
This occurs without your own body’s control. You may experience vomiting or you may not. Nausea can sometimes be accompanied by profuse sweating.
Nausea happens for a number of reasons. To know exactly why you feel nauseated, your doctor will need to figure it out by looking at your symptoms.
- It is essential that you tell your doctor about the nausea symptoms you are experiencing.
- You should also mention if you are taking medications and, of course, if you’re pregnant.
- The daily activities you do.
- If you are sexually active and taking birth control pills.
Of course, it is very common to experience nausea symptoms every once in a while, and you should go see your doctor if you have tried some natural nausea remedies or nausea treatments and they didn’t work at all.
The best option, though, is to figure out what causes nausea and work on fixing that.